‘Positive acknowledgement of good behaviour is a very effective way of influencing and promoting good learning behaviour’ . ( Guidelines for Developing Schools Codes of Behaaviour, NEWB, 2007)
At Our Lady’s positives are awarded on VSware to students in Junior Cycle for:
- Behaviour and cooperation in class
- Academic excellence
- Willingness, initiative and enterprise
- Sustained improvement in attitude and performance
- Good citizenship
Students accumulate merit cards which are used to claim Bronze, Silver and Platinum Awards. Students are presented with certificates and prizes at award ceremonies each term. An awards trip also takes place at the end of each year for students who achieve a high number of merit cards.
At Senior Cycle a separate awards programme is in place. The following elements are included:
- Academic awards for subjects in 5th and 6th
- Student of the year award based on overall academic performance
- Dr.Jim O’Shea and Sr. Helen Kennedy award for 5th Year students
- Edmund Rice and Catherine McAuley award for 6th Year Students
- Spirt of TY award for Transition Year Student
A formal awards ceremoney takes place in the final term where students are presented with their certificates.