A student council is a representative structure for students only, through which they can become involved in the affairs of the school, working in partnership with school management, staff and parents for the benefit of the school and its students.
The Council is elected by the students for the students. Each class has one representative on the council. Yearheads also nominate a male and a female representative from each year group to participate on the council.
The Student Council has many benefits in Our Lady’s Secondary School.
- Creates a positive school atmosphere;
- Creates a caring school environment, which is supportive and inclusive;
- A vehicle for student participation;
- Beneficial impact on issues such as discipline, bullying and staff-student relations;
- Creates educational opportunities for students;
- Provides an interactive learning environment;
- Students can develop communication and leadership skills, responsibility and accountability;
- Valuable resource to management, teachers and other students.
Each year in Our Lady’s the student council organise, run and host a Christmas fun day for all staff and students. The money raised on this day is donated to a charity of choice. Last year Our Lady’s donated the funds to the Hope foundation.
2016 -2017 Student Council
|2 Naomh Brid
2 Naomh Aine
2 Naomh Eanna
2 Naomh Padraig
Ciara O Brien
Roisin Lowry/Shauna Clavin